- Can I clean up fire and smoke damage in my home myself?
- What is the difference between mould and mildew?
- How does mould spread?
After fire and smoke damage in your home, we do not recommend you attempt any “do-it-yourself” cleaning methods without first consulting your ServiceMaster Restore qualified Restoration Technician. Pre-testing, using the right cleaning agent for particular items, mixing deodourizing agents with cleaning solutions and using correct dilution ratios are just some of the ways an expert fire restoration technician attains professional and controlled results. Professional cleaning systems and products used by experienced, trained technicians give you the best chance for successful restoration of your property and belongings.
Mildew is a surface fungus that easily develops on cardboard, books and even fabrics. Mildew usually grows in a flat pattern and may appear powdery. Mildew usually starts out white and may later turn to yellow, brown or black. It can usually be treated with a store bought cleaner and scrub brush. Mould is usually fuzzy in appearance and can be many different colours including white, yellow, blue, green, brown, gray and black. Mould will cause structural damage to your property and can cause numerous health issues.
For moulds to grow and reproduce, they need a damp environment and an organic food source, such as cellulose, which is found in many building materials such as wood, drywall, ceiling tiles, and other household materials such as carpeting and fabrics. Mould can also grow in a home’s HVAC system, gutters, roof, foundation, and other areas where the environment encourages mould growth.